26 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4HQ, UK Req #214
04 May 2022
Title: News Reporter
Location: London (Hybrid working)
Full time, permanent
Salary: £28,000 to £32,000
Tes is an international provider of software-enabled services passionate about using technology to make life easier for schools and teachers. All products and services are built with teachers and schools needs at the core, ensuring they are innovative, trusted education solutions.
TES (formerly the Times Educational Supplement) – the UK’s biggest website for schools – is looking for an ambitious reporter to join its award-winning news team.
The ideal candidate will have a strong record of breaking exclusives and investigations in a fast-paced environment, and will be ready for a role on a national, specialist title.
They will be hungry to build contacts across a range of patches, pitch ideas and deliver agenda-setting scoops that serve a professional readership.
They will also be committed to the highest standards of accuracy and possess the ability to write clean, timely copy across different formats – primarily news stories and investigations, but also long reads and analyses.
Experience of working across different digital platforms, including video, would be a bonus, as would data journalism skills.
What will you need to succeed?
• NCTJ qualification or equivalent
• Passion for specialist news journalism
• Desire to hold decision-makers to account on behalf of school leaders
• Ability to identify the information that school leaders need, when they need it
• Keen eye for detail
• Strong understanding of the challenges and needs of TES readers
• Ability to work quickly under tight deadline pressure while retaining high levels of accuracy
• Tenacity to produce long-term investigations and source off-diary stories
• Experience working on a busy daily news desk
What do you get in return?
• 25 days annual leave rising to 30
• 5% pension after probation
• Hybrid working, 2+ days in the office
• State of the art city centre offices
• Access to a range of benefits via My Benefits World
• Discounted city centre parking
• Free eye care cover
• Health care cash plan
• Life Assurance
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• EAP (Employee assistance programme)
• Monthly Tes Socials
• Access to an extensive Learning and Development menu
Who are Tes?
Tes has been supporting the education sector for over a century, growing and changing alongside the evolution of education. Today, Tes is focused on providing digital solutions to support school leaders and teachers with wellbeing, continuous professional development, safeguarding, SEND provision, flexibility through timetabling, and pupil behaviour management.
Our Vision is to power schools and enable great teaching worldwide, by creating intelligent online products and services to make the greatest difference in education.
Tes has over 13m teachers in its online community and working relationships with 25,000 schools in over 100 countries. Tes helps schools find the teachers they need via a range of recruitment solutions; brings new teachers into the profession through initial teacher training; provides teachers with continuous professional development and world class safeguarding training. It also offers a range of expert tools for the classroom from timetabling, SEND provision, and behaviour management solutions to dynamic staff surveying and wellbeing tools. Tes brings educators together online so they can share expertise and teaching resources and it provides them with vital information, research and analysis about education via its fully digital Tes Magazine.
Tes is a global company employing over 600 people and operating across 10 offices, including in London, Sheffield, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Dubai.
We are proud of our people centric culture where everyone is driven to achieve the same goal. We are an agile organization striving for continuous improvement. We invest in our people with extensive learning and development opportunities and support our colleagues with various mentoring and career enhancement programmes.
Tes Global will ensure all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or on the basis of disability. We invite applicants to contact us directly to identify any additional support required.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate £28,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate £32,000.00
- 26 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4HQ, UK