26 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4HQ, UK ● Norfolk St, Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield S1 2JE, UK Req #257
22 June 2022
Title: Data Engineer
Department: Business Improvement
Location: Sheffield/London (Hybrid/Remote)
Full time, permanent
Salary: £45,000 to £55,000
Tes is an international provider of software-enabled services passionate about using technology to make life easier for schools and teachers. All products and services are built with teachers and schools needs at the core, ensuring they are innovative, trusted education solutions.
We’re looking for a Data Engineer to join our team. Ideally, they will have some experience in a data engineering role but we’d also welcome applications from other engineers who are enthusiastic about a move into data engineering.
You’ll work on developing all aspects of our data platform – through from consuming data from various sources through to serving processed outputs. The team’s current focus is on replacing existing ETL pipelines with modern tooling. Our core processing pipeline uses:
- In-house developed services
- Apache Airflow for orchestration
- AWS tooling (S3, EMR, Lambda functions)
- Redshift for warehousing
- dbt for data transformations
- Fivetran for ingestion
- Docker, Jenkins, Kubernaut for building and deploying service
- Our data engineering team sits within the data and insights team. It works closely with analysts and data scientists to design and deliver a platform that meets their and business stakeholder’s needs.
What will you need to succeed?
- Work in Python to update pipelines and develop services
- Apply engineering best practices to your work, e.g., test-driven development
- Use source control to manage versioning
- Value and generate clear, comprehensive documentation
- Communicate constructively with peers and stakeholders
- Collaborate with other data-practices (analytics, data-science) to understand their needs
- Apply agile thinking to your work – delivering iterations that incrementally build on what went before
- Have a learning mindset – you proactively research and test new technologies
What do you get in return?
- 25 days annual leave rising to 30
- 5% pension after probation
- Hybrid working, 2+ days in the office
- State of the art city centre offices
- Access to a range of benefits via My Benefits World
- Discounted city centre parking
- Free eye care cover
- Health care (permanent contracts only)
- Life Assurance
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- EAP (Employee assistance programme)
- Monthly Tes Socials
- Access to an extensive Learning and Development menu
Who are Tes?
Tes has been supporting the education sector for over a century, growing and changing alongside the evolution of education. Today, Tes is focused on providing digital solutions to support school leaders and teachers with wellbeing, continuous professional development, safeguarding, SEND provision, flexibility through timetabling, and pupil behaviour management.
Our Vision is to power schools and enable great teaching worldwide, by creating intelligent online products and services to make the greatest difference in education.
Tes has over 13m teachers in its online community and working relationships with 25,000 schools in over 100 countries. Tes helps schools find the teachers they need via a range of recruitment solutions; brings new teachers into the profession through initial teacher training; provides teachers with continuous professional development and world class safeguarding training. It also offers a range of expert tools for the classroom from timetabling, SEND provision, and behaviour management solutions to dynamic staff surveying and wellbeing tools. Tes brings educators together online so they can share expertise and teaching resources and it provides them with vital information, research and analysis about education via its fully digital Tes Magazine.
Tes is a global company employing over 600 people and operating across 10 offices, including in London, Sheffield, Hong Kong, Sydney, and Dubai.
We are proud of our people centric culture where everyone is driven to achieve the same goal. We are an agile organization striving for continuous improvement. We invest in our people with extensive learning and development opportunities and support our colleagues with various mentoring and career enhancement programmes.
Tes Global will ensure all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or on the basis of disability. We invite applicants to contact us directly to identify any additional support required.
- Pay Type Salary
- Min Hiring Rate £45,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate £55,000.00
- 26 Red Lion Square, London WC1R 4HQ, UK
- Norfolk St, Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield S1 2JE, UK